St. Piran's Flag   Week St. Mary Village Community Web Site St. Piran's Flag 
www.weekstmaryvillage.co.uk     HOME PAGE
HOME
Google Site Search
SEARCH
Site Map
SITE MAP
 
Back to Thumbnails

BACK
 

Listed Buildings

Including the Parish Church, there are eighteen buildings in the parish listed by the Department of the Environment as being of special architectural or historical interest.
The grades (different in Scotland and Northern Ireland)
The buildings are graded to show their relative architectural or historic interest:
• Grade I buildings are of exceptional interest
• Grade II are of special interest, warranting every effort to preserve them
• Grade II* are particularly important buildings of more than special interest
Listing currently protects 500,000 or so buildings, of which the majority - over 90% - are Grade II.

• GRADE I - Parish Church has a C14 south arcade, C15 aisles, late C15/early C16 porch and tower. Some masonry in the chancel may be C13. Substantially restored 1876 to 1881.

• GRADE II - Brendon Farmhouse (early C19 with late C17/early C18 range) and wall adjoining, outbuilding adjoining and cart shed.

• GRADE II - Brendon Farmhouse Barn, mill house and stables.

• GRADE II - Goscott Farmhouse Circa 1850 with C17 range attached at rear.

• GRADE II* - Leigh Farmhouse Late C16/early C17 core, C17 alterations. Incorporation of some moulded timbers from a demolished house in the village.

• GRADE II - Leigh Farmhouse Cider house.

• GRADE II - Lower Kitleigh Cottage Former farmhouse, circa C18.

• GRADE II* - Marhays Manor, including garden area wall adjoining circa early C17 build incorporated into late C17/early C18 house. There is an elaborate plaster ceiling in high relief with putti, birds, fruit and flowers. This is a Domesday manor.

• GRADE II - Sladdacott Farmhouse, with adjoining cottage and barn. Circa C17 with possibly earlier build.

• GRADE II - Steele Farmhouse and adjoining outbuilding. Core C17 with C19 additions.

• GRADE II - Week Orchard. The Cottage. C17 cob with thatched roof of wheat. Early roof structure intact.

• GRADE II - Pigsdon/Pegsdon. Formerly a farmhouse. Late C18 or early C19.

• GRADE II* - Burdenwell Manor and cottage. Formerly a farmhouse. Probably C16 core. (The owner gave the date 1553). A former home of the Granville family.

• GRADE II - Church Cottage. House, formerly two cottages, C17 with C20 at rear. Some original roof timbers remain. The two cottages formerly entered through common entrance door into passage with doors off.

• GRADE II - Hayescott/Hayscroft House. C17 core, rebuilt circa C19. Original build may have been part of Old College complex. Shutters to ground floor windows.

• GRADE II - New College. House. Late C19, perhaps earlier in part. incorporating two tympana from the 1508 Old College complex. Included for group value with Old College.

• GRADE II - The Old College, outbuilding adjoining, wall adjoining front. This house, now a Landmark Trust holiday house, was originally a grammar school built in 1508 for Dame Thomasine Percival who endowed it.

• GRADE II - Well House. c 4m east of the Old College Built circa 1508 for the grammar school.

One or two further details may be added from local knowledge. A former owner of Steele Farmhouse has told of large caches of drink bottles being found in the grounds and has suggested a secret ale house used during the time when early Methodism had declared war on intoxicating drinks.
Burdenwell Manor was formerly known as Burnwell Manor; the name was changed when new owners came in shortly after the end of World War II. The house contains a reputed priests’ hole and there is an alleged underground passage connecting with the churchyard.
There are in the village other old houses not listed at present. Just off the Square is a small building now called “Chyvean’, said to be over 350 years old and known to have been a former ale house and subsequently a Methodist chapel. At the bottom of the hill leading out of Week Green is a splendid old house called ‘Corys’ which may well have been a farm house in the days when there were still farms in the heart of the village.
At the top of the same hill is ‘The Cottage’ which now incorporates two old cottages. Half-way down on the other side is Wentworth House, the stately former rectory, probably Georgian, with its former stables now (1993) housing a small honey producing business.
In the Lower Square is Red Lion House, formerly a public house and later a shop, Box Tree House once a farm and Sea View Farm, about the last remaining working farm right in the village.
A number of houses which appear to be 20-century builds may well be much older houses disguised under modernisation too thorough for the purist. The whole area is rich in potential gems.


Acknowledgement: "A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF WEEK ST. MARY" by Miss D. J. Matthews
© All of the content of the Week St. Mary website is the copyright of David Martin & Linda Cobbledick except where stated 2006-2015