St. Piran's Flag   Week St. Mary Village Community Web Site St. Piran's Flag 
www.weekstmaryvillage.co.uk     HOME PAGE
HOME
Google Site Search
SEARCH
Site Map
SITE MAP
 
Back to Thumbnails

BACK
 

Doomsday Book

The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book, compiled in 1086 under instructions from William the Conqueror. It contains records of over 13,000 settlements. The extract for Week St. Mary appears alongside its 'English' translation.


Doomsday Book entry 

 

 

The same Richard holds WEEK ST MARY. Cola held it TRE and it paid geld for half a hide. Yet there is 1 hide. [There is] land for 8 ploughs.

There are 3 ploughs, and 4 slaves and 6 villans and 10 bordars, and 2 acres of woodland, and pasture 1 league long and as much broad.

Formerly 20s; now it is worth 30s. The same man holds PENHALLYM. Erneis held it TRE and it paid geld for half a hide. Yet there are 1 & ½ hides. [There is] land for 10 ploughs.

 

There are 6 ploughs, and 6 slaves and 8 villans and 22 bordars, and 6 acres of woodland. [There is] pasture 1 league long and as much broad. Formerly 40s; now it is worth 30s.

The same man holds DOWNINNEY. Maeligrle-Sveinn held it TRE and it paid geld for 1 hide. Yet there are 2 hides. There is land for 12 ploughs.  There are 10 ploughs, and 10 slaves and 10 villans and 20 bordars. [There is] pasture 1 league long and as much broad.

 

A translation from the Doomsday Book for Week St. Mary, formerly known as 'Wich'
© All of the content of the Week St. Mary website is the copyright of David Martin & Linda Cobbledick except where stated 2006-2015